Sebastian Hohmann wrote:

> I don't think that making the messaging system public is a good idea. It

> all has the feel of private messaging, that should still be possible.

Agreed, why change this .. it's useful and expected (what's the law about all
websites growing to support their own email system..)

> With a system much like openstreetbugs, you could go to you area on the
> slippy map, click the 'discuss'-tab (e.g.) and set a marker on the map.
> That marker creates a discussion topic that can be viewed an edited on a
> different page (could be the wiki or a dedicated system). Mappers
> interested in a discussion in a certain region could just look for the
> markers in that area. Discussion could also be shown as a list for the
> current bounding box, to make it easier to find or follow them. There
> could also be a rss-feed or email notification.

All for integrating and extending OpenStreetBugs more deeply into the rails
app, api, moving towards a geographic based messaging system.
Couple that with "last-login" or "last-edit" and you can message with users
editing in the same area right at that moment.

With exponential growth of our community, we're going to need a little social
infrastructure quick to support collaboration, etc.

Nic Roets wrote:

> I think we must take steps that will actually reduce conflict :
> * When a person signs up to OSM, ask him a few multiple choice questions to
> make sure he has the mastered the basics.

I wouldn't want to answer questions just to sign up. We should be providing
obvious support and introduction to the community. Does the email sent out to
new users give a good overview and pointers?

- Mikel