On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 11:53 PM, Nic Roets <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > * When a person signs up to OSM, ask him a few multiple choice questions
> > make sure he has the mastered the basics.
>
> I think the barrier for entry for OSM is already too high, just
> signing up probably deters a lot of useful committers already who'd
> otherwise have made small and useful changes (see e.g. how many useful
> one-off edits Wikipedia gets). Making new users undergo some sort of
> test they'd have to study for would mean even fewer users
> contributing.

Well, in the section of the map I'm editing we're not like wikipedia. Casual
users are much more likely do damage something than they are to fix
something. And I would hope that they would at least contribute their local
knowledge e.g. PoIs, but they don't.

We don't (yet) have the revert and diff tools that wikipedia does.

The test would be a very simple comprehension test that will not require
studying or knowledge of English grammar. All the questions can be about
matching photographs (e.g. a footbridge or a typical 4 way junction) to an
OSM representation / tagging. People who fail the test can still use
openstreetbugs.