On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 01:07:46PM +0100, Radomir Cernoch wrote:
> Ok, I see the problem. Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding:
> In Poland the speed is restricted in the "built up zone" or in "place"?

There is a set of general restrictions for "built up zones" and there
are no general restriction for towns/cities. Though some places (even
villages) may have own restrictions for their whole territory. Then
a limit (like speed limit) sign is place together with the place name
sign.

> Maybe the solution is to split 'place' and 'traffic_regulation' into 2
> separate tags. In Poland, you would have 2 polygons, in CZ we would have
> 1 polygon with 2 tags. But then the proposed system is still applicable,
> isn't is?

Yes, that looks sane.

> Maybe I should explain the situation in CZ is also a bit more:
>
> * The official "administrative" border does not affect traffic
>   regulations and usually there are no signs for it.
> * The "place" is an area, whose boundaries have a sign near the road (a
>   sign with "Prague" on it). This is the exactly the area, where you
>   can't drive more than 50 km/h.
> * The "built-up" zone is not an official term for traffic regulations
>   and therefore there are no signs for it. Speed limits aren't affected.
>   Nevertheless in OSM we try to capture it by 'landuse=residental/...'.

I would prefer not to overload "landuse=residental" with "built-up
area" meaning, as used for traffic restrictions. In Poland there may be
a "built-up area" where  no one lives and houses out of any "built-up"
area. But a zonal traffic restriction tag (whatever it would be) could
still be added to any area (landuse=*, place=* or boundary=*).

Greets,
        Jacek