On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:59:05AM +0100, Radomir Cernoch wrote:
> In the Czech list we ended up with the following solution, which tries
> to copy the legislation (which is a good starting point, I guess):
>
> 1) Every road is by default 'rural' road (speed limit 90 km/h).
> 2) Every highway has speed limit 130 km/h by default.
> 3) If a road is inside a polygon tagging the city limits,
>    then its speed limit is set to 50 km/h. Such polygon might be tagged
>    by 'place', but the actual name of the tag is not important here.
> 4) If a road has different speed limit from rules 1) - 3), it is tagged
>    with 'maxspeed=...'.

That would not work very well in Poland. Town/city/village
administrative border usually differ from the "built up zone" borders.
Often one driving through a city will pass one "start of the place" sign
(with place name) and several times "start of built up zone" and "end of
built up zone" before the "end of the place" sign. So we would need
different polygons for built up zones than for place administrative
boundaries (which are IMHO not less important, unless we want OSM be
a road map only).

Greets,
        Jacek