I think "designation" is about the legal status of a way, particularly where
that might not be obvious from, or in conflict with the physical
characteristics of the way.

On physical characteristics, you can get a fair way with highway=residential
+ maxspeed=(say)30. There wouldn't be too many people misled by that. Maybe
add motorcar=destination to emphasise the point for routers. We have a tag
for special features for cyclists, so I'd use that to be a bit more precise:
cycleway=cyclestreet.

Is that precise enough - probably. Only a complete absolutist would want to
add a designation tag to emphasise that this really is a bona fide
properly-signposted official got-the-tshirt Fahrradstrasse. In which case
add designation=official (or designation=cyclestreet, if that's a
locally-agreed value)

Richard