Am 15. August 2009 11:50 schrieb "Marc Schütz" <schue...@gmx.net>:
> For example, the German names for most European countries are different from
> their native names. However, Portugal happens to have the same name (well,
> spelling) in German and in Portugese. Would you therefore say, that Portugal
> doesn't have a German name?

I'd say that it is not necessary to put a German name, as the spelling
is equal to the native one. E.g. in Italian it would be necessary
(Portogallo). Why do you want to put duplicates of names if the normal
fallback to "name" will work? It doesn't make sense to me. Not even
for countries. When talking about official names though, it would be
necessary in nearly all cases: (here: República Portuguesa /
Portugiesische Republik)

cheers,
Martin