Marc Schütz schrieb:
>>> Still I think a case could be made for country names to be different:
>> most of them are so prominent that I would say they exist in most languages,
>> even if they are identical to the native names.
>>> For example, the German names for most European countries are different
>> from their native names. However, Portugal happens to have the same name
>> (well, spelling) in German and in Portugese. Would you therefore say, that
>> Portugal doesn't have a German name?
>> It has one, but that's not a translation - rust a repetition. And
>> name:xx-tags are (in my opinion), basically translation-tags.
>>
>> Nevertheless I don't like different rules for similar things, so i don't
>> want to have a different "rule" for countries as for cities. It's a rule
>> in quotation marks, because no one forces you to remove those tags and
>> if you want to add them for a language, i won't go and delete them.
>
> Well, the common rule for both cities and countries would then be: "If it has
> a name in language xxx, then add a name:xxx tag (and don't care if it has the
> same value as "name"), else leave it."
>
> Although this basically follows from the "on the ground rule", it would
> probably be very subjective to decide.
>
> Anyway, I don't have a strong opinion on this anymore. As you and Martin have
> pointed out, it will probably make no difference in practice, as "name" will
> be taken as a fallback.
>
> Regards, Marc

In my eyes the rule should be: "If it has a name in language xxx *that
differs from it's native name*, then add a name:xxx tag"

And that what i did it like for German. I don't feel myself in a
position to publish this rule on the wiki nor on my tool, as long as
there are no more voices for / against it.

Peter