> Frederik, is it possible in Germany to give away state secret (if you know
> that some combination of information is not to be published for the reason
> that it is a secret by the law, only in combination) without being judged?
> You may say that to know a secret you must be allowed by the secret service
> to do this, but in some cases just a combination of pieces of open
> information is a secret by the law - and that is our case.

Well, with fear to slide into offtopic territory, I think what worries
most of us is *definition* of state secret. Fallback location for
generals and president in war time is definitely top state secret. But
does publicly seen random military site is? I really doubt that. I
know that Russia isn't alone in this - definition of "state secret" is
very loose also in lot of Western countries (I think only Northern
Europe have clearer statements on it).

However, as far as I understood, core problem is that in Russia,
*anything* connected with military can be claimed as "state secret".
It's leftover from Soviet law (with the same dose of paranoia, of
course) and extreme example of subject. Therefore if OSM shows
military objects in Russia, it can be ordered to be filtered out. If
someone maps military objects, it can land them in legal hot water (if
someone gets hold of OSMer location who did it). I think even some
civilian roads can be claimed state secret if they leads to base which
was sorta secret in Soviet times - but not these days.

So questions are these:
* How we advice as community to act in this particular case?
* And how we deal with such problems in future?

In this case for publishing I suggest to re-render it with stuff
filtered out. Question is - how to automate it? In meantime, it would
be nice to have some service where you can render/get planet.xml with
stuff layered/filtered out. For example, having only traffic stuff. It
is something worth to think about.

Cheers,
Peter.