On 3 June 2010 17:56, Pieren <pier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> At the end, you just translate a lat/lon + tag to a number.... when you can
> simply request a tag by its lat/lon to an appropriate api.

This doesn't cover the case of where a business moves...

> The unique ID already exists, it's the osm_id. Why should we recreate the
> wheel ? But it's true that the ID is not permanent and cannot really be

You answered your own question...

> trusted. URL's in Wikipedia have the same issue. What about trying to
> improve the persistence of the ID by using a similar mechanism : when an
> editor sees that a node has been replaced by another node or polygon "with
> the same meaning (or set of tags)", it could insert a kind of "#REDIRECT"
> into the removed object redirecting to the new osm_id

This doesn't work because not every object needs a unique ID, some
objects need multiple unique IDs and some objects need to share the
same unique ID, or create a relation and use the unique ID on the
relation, although this could be another method to tag similar/same
objects without needing to use a relation. Redirecting won't be
effective in the example I listed on the wiki page of a building
having a unique ID and a tenant having a unique ID and the tenant
moving to a new building, the unique ID can follow the tenant but not
effect the existing building information like address.