On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 5:39 AM, Pieren <pier...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What external applications need from OSM is a persistent ID for persistent
> objects. If a business moves, then use a yellow page application to find the
> new address.

I'm sorry to jump into this thread from hell, but you've touched on a
question that's been unclear to me from the beginning of this
discussion, which is "What does an permanent object mean?"

A common thing for me to do as a mapper is manually collect POIs while
walking, upload them, and then later, using sources like imagry, get
rid of my nodes and replace them with ways (eg buildings).

So is the permanent object the node? Is the permanent object the POI?
What if the POI moves? If I tag the public library as a POI node, then
do a building trace, that's one POI- but what if the library moves (as
my local library is planning on doing). Does that permanent object
move with the library, or does it stay with the building?

- Serge