On 7 June 2010 23:12, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
> What about the website=* tag?  Do people tend to maintain them?  Because
> website=u.osm.org/c9f0f516-7da2-4cf0-a455-b09f90792c7d would work equally
> well and wouldn't require any new tags.

While you can embed a UUID in a URL I would suggest it gets it's own
tag since lots of objects already get a website tag.

> I don't think the uuid tags would be treated perfectly.  But they do seem
> like they'd be better than nothing, even if only some portion of the mappers
> maintain them.  Also, I'm one of those mappers that will sometimes delete
> tags I don't know.  But not if they're given an objective explanation in the
> wiki.

+1 any tags that are used should be documented, or at least discussed
and there may be a similar tag already used that is better.

> The only thing I'm really afraid of is that these tags would violate what
> some people seem to believe is a rule - the supposed "map only what's on the
> ground" rule.  Do the website=* and wikipedia=* tags violate this rule?

Using that logic, source=* from aerial imagery, would need to be
removed, although if wikipedia starts linking to OSM objects do we
need to also link to wikipedia objects?