On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 9:49 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I never really got that, pro-PD people are pro-ODBL because copyright
> may not be enough to cover the database...

Not sure what that means.  I'd prefer OSM to stay CC-BY-SA.  Barring
that, I'd prefer CC0 (or PDDL, or DbCL, or some PD-like license).
ODbL is just not on the list.

If ODbL removed the clause requiring offering a copy of the database
when distributing a produced work, then maybe.  But as it stands,
that's far too onerous on people (like me) who like to play around
with OSM data and don't want to worry about keeping track of the exact
process of how they produced the mashups that result.  (And the fact
that I can't even charge for the download adds insult to injury.  11
gigs of transfer don't come free.  At EC2 pricing that'd be $1.65 -
fine if only one person requests it, not fine if lots of people
request it.)