On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Peter Wendorff
<wendo...@uni-paderborn.de> wrote:
>  On 18.08.2010 19:21, Anthony wrote:
>>
>>  put a reference to the street into the way
>> for the building, not a way to put a reference to the building into
>> the way for the street.  One possibility is to just use
>> addr:street=way:37863 or addr:street=relation:28917.  But as there
>> would be no maintenance of referential integrity, that wouldn't be
>> without its dangers.
>
> Isn't addr:street="Main Street" enough?

It'd be nice to have an easy way to link the address to the street.

> Navigation systems should IMHO do some preprocessing to the data - means
> e.g. connecting houses to nodes at the street for routing.

I disagree.  The street address isn't always the same as the street
used for access.

> references in attributes are error prone, I fear.
> 1) some people reuse old ways when editing (should not be, but is often the
> case)
> 2) deletions, edits and additions would break the relation, if not
> maintained carefully, what's a lot of work.

Yes, hence my comment about "referential integrity".
addr:streetref=way:87323 would be a hack.  You'd really want something
built into the API for it to work right.

> So I prefer to add the street name to the street (as name) and addr:street
> to the building/shop etc.

I think for now that's probably the best solution.  And just hope
there aren't too many instances of "Main Street" on the addr vs. "Main
St" on the way.  And do some sort of "nearby" search.

Unfortunately, that means I can't do a simple SQL query to find out
"what street has the most addresses on it in the OSM database".  OTOH,
I could probably come up with a fairly simple SQL query to answer "How
many addresses are there on Broad Street in Philadelphia", especially
if I'm willing to approximate Philadelphia as a rectangle.