If you prefix tag keys of historic elements with "past:", it will not interfere with extisting SW conserned with rendering the present state. Examples: "past:building=y", "past:highway=..." At the same time it should be easy to render historic maps based on existing styles.

I doubt that historical mapping will add significantly to the OSM database size on the global scale. But if I am wrong, it will certainly add value to OSM, IMHO.

(I first thought of "historic:" prefix, but that can be misunderstood to mean present object of historic interest.)

BR/Egil Hjelmeland