On 02/02/11 16:15, Anthony wrote:
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Jonathan Harley<j...@spiffymap.net>  wrote:
I think Peter is right - as long as
the CC-BY[-SA] content is unmodified, it can be assembled with other things to
form a collective work. The CC-BY[-SA] licenses do not say that they still have
to be separate and independent after assembly, just before.
Maybe that's a loophole in the license.  But if so, it's a pretty big one.

What is meant by "content is unmodified"?  Obviously the printed base
map is going to be modified from the original database.  So under your
interpretation, the part about the content being unmodified either
prohibits everything, or allows everything.  Or is there some other
interpretation for "content is unmodified" that you can think of?

I have assumed it refers to the geodata, which is unmodified unless you start changing the latitudes and longitudes of points. That's the only reading I can think of that makes any sense of the phrase "unmodified form" in the context of map data (in fact, of any kind of data).

Clearly no rendering of any map is going to be unmodified in the sense of having identical sequences of 0s and 1s to the database, in which case there could be no such thing as a collective work based on a database, ever. Is that what you mean by prohibits everything or allows everything? It seems clear to me that the CC licenses are attempting to allow stuff but impose conditions, not to prohibit everything.

Jonathan.

--
Jonathan Harley    :     Managing Director     :     SpiffyMap Ltd

Email: m...@spiffymap.com   Phone: 0845 313 8457   www.spiffymap.com
Post: The Venture Centre, Sir William Lyons Road, Coventry CV4 7EZ