On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Peter Miller <peter.mil...@itoworld.com> wrote:
> The strict view expressed above by Frederick and others would mean that it
> would be impossible to use osm mapping as a bacground for this crime data as
> in the chart, 'Violent crime in the USA' unless the overlaid data was also
> on an open licence or the crime data was to the side of the map.
> http://thesocietypages.org/graphicsociology/2009/02/17/typical-crime-map-victimization/

Yes, that is the intent of the license (specifically, the "overlaid
data" must be CC-BY-SA, not just "on an open license").  This is my
intent when I license my works under the license.

> And this one showing the location of the 'Trafford Law Centre' unless the
> photo was also on a free license or moved so as not to obscure the map.
> http://www.traffordlawcentre.org.uk/contact_us/contact.htm

I would say that this is fine.

> How about this map of the Isle of White overlaid with illustrations?
> http://www.steve.shalfleet.net/

Whole thing must be CC-BY-SA.

> Indeed anything overlaid on the map, or any other ccbysa image or photograph
> would need to be on an open license if the strict interpretation was used.

Yes, that certainly could be argued, and if you want to be safe, you
should release it all under CC-BY-SA.