Jonathan Harley wrote:
>On 03/02/11 14:23, Anthony wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 5:23 AM, Jonathan Harley<j...@spiffymap.net>
>> wrote:
>>> OSM applies the license to data - the license attribution it requests
>>> specifically mentions "Map data".
>>
>> Again, who wrote the license attribution request?  Not me.  In fact,
>> I'm not even sure what license attribution request you're talking
>> about.  If you mean the one in the slippy map, I consider that to be
>> incorrect.  The entire work must be CC-BY-SA, not just the data.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright - if you think it's incorrect,
> you should probably take that up with the OSMF, which is the publisher
> of www.openstreetmap.org (so one can assume that the website
> represents the OSMF's view).

You are, once again, misunderstanding.

The cited webpage says:

"If you are using OpenStreetMap map images, we request that your credit
reads at least '© OpenStreetMap contributors, CC-BY-SA'. If you are using
map data only, we request 'Map data © OpenStreetMap contributors,
CC-BY-SA'."

That is perfectly correct. If you build (say) your own rendering using OSM
map data, then only the map data is (c) OpenStreetMap contributors. The
added value of the rendering is not (c) OpenStreetMap contributors. OSM's
contributors can ask you to credit them in a particular way for the data,
and you have to maintain that in any credit given with the rendering, but
you may of course request your own credit for the added value. That is what
the above says.

However, the rendering _is_ still subject to CC-BY-SA. That is made
perfectly clear on the cited page ("If you... build upon our... data, you
may distribute the result only under the same licence"); in the CC
"human-readable" terms; and the CC legal code.

Richard