On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Stefan de Konink <ste...@konink.de> wrote:

> Op 08-10-11 14:39, Zsombor Szabó schreef:
>> This is our short term solution for the problem, but the long termriv
>> solution is clearly a vector based renderer. I previously alluded
>> that it is coming on my twitter profile.
>
> The long term solution is offering a service for your users hosted by
> yourself and not depending on the openstreetmap servers for rendering
> or handing out data. In this way you can offer a better cache ratio.

I'd say this is not the long term solution, but a sane short term
solution, and business opportunity.

OSM data is a non-rivalrous good. That is your use does not detract
from anyone else's use.

The tile server, though, is a rivalrous good. Use of the tile server
costs OSM resources, and detracts from other users.

If downloaded maps are in such demand, why not find out where your
customers want the maps, and then simply offer them in some way
(either on demand via your own tile server) of offline in mbtiles
bundles by area.

Make that part of your pay service (since it certainly costs you money
as well). Such tiles don't need to be updated as frequently as normal
on-demand tiles, and can be processed in parallel.

In other words, you move from frustrating the OSM community and your
customers (who can't use the OSM tiles they want) to:

1. Offloading the work from the OSM tile server.

2. Providing a useful service for your customers that's fast (faster
than the current method for sure).

3. Providing a new revenue stream for yourself and your business.

- Serge