Thank you all - I was looking at the Way, not the individual points, and it was
obviously one that was there before I started mapping that I then edited.

Is the process for deciding whether or not to delete a node set in stone? I am
fairly sure that I have moved the majority of those nodes from where they were
originally (I am fairly sure because there was originally only 1 path on OSM
going up the hill when there are 2 different paths on the ground), so surely if
I moved them from their original position they can't be deleted just because
the specific node id in the database was originated by someone else?? that's
crazy - what's the logic behind that decision - shouldn't the check ensure that
they are at least in the same place as the originator positioned them?
Otherwise I can see a lot of senseless destruction and that makes me really
quite sad.

Do I sound panicked? That might be because I am - it appears a *lot* of the
footpaths and bridleways I've been editing over the last 3 years might be
deleted. I will try to contact ngent, but to be honest I spend maybe an hour or
two a week on OSM adding in walks I've done, so with all the good will in the
world I don't realistically have the time to chase all of the original people
who created nodes that are now potentially going to be deleted.

Help(?)

Adam