What you can do is create an osm file on your local hard drive, in JOSM
download a very small area with nothing in it.  New download the area you
have made edits in as a separate download.

Select on username so user:xyz

Merge the selection onto your empty map and save it locally.  Then after
the great clean up has happened you at least have a record of your edits.
Alternatively there is always the other OSM style maps that aren't changing
their license.

Cheerio John