Am 27.10.2012 17:10, schrieb Stephan Knauss:
Hello Tim,

On 25.10.2012 22:27, Kolossos wrote:
 > Other important thing would be to translate large cities or isles.
 > Any comments and ideas?

You should certainly get in contact with the local community before
doing any sort of mass import of names in a language you don't
understand. For example last time your Vietnamese names had not been
that satisfactory.

Did you read my answer in german Mailinglist and the link to further discussion?
*http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User_talk:Kolossos#Re:_CLDR_is_an_unreliable.2C_inconsistent_source_for_Vietnamese_names
It was not so negative.

How about providing an easy to proof-read extract for the local
communities before doing the actual import?

And maybe also double-checking that the admin boundaries of 3166-2
you're going to use are accurate.

My vague idea to do this is to create a table in the wiki.

Stephan