On 01/04/2013 10:13 AM, Alex Barth wrote:
Pawel -

This is great.

What would it take to make this blazing fast?

There is still a lot challenges ahead with performance such as:

* On high zoom levels OWL API response time is acceptable most of the time but I only tested it with 1.5M changesets. Will it scale to 10 times that? I think it will (on high zoom levels) without major changes but if it doesn't then database schema needs to be adjusted (SP-GiST indexing maybe).

* On low zoom levels there is a known issue with performance because a lot of changesets match and they need to then be sorted by timestamp to select the latest ones and the sorting right now does not use the index. I spoke with a Postgres guru on IRC and he gave me some hints which I still need to try out.

* Client-side performance is still a challenge - I managed to kill Firefox a couple of times with the amount of changes that the code tried to show. There should probably be a limit of geometry features to be shown (plus it should be based on the browser you use) and some kind of warning and/or filtering of changes just like the "Browse map data" feature does it currently.

* Another performance challenge is with processing history data and creating tiles. It used to take a long time but I optimized the hell out of the tiler code and now it can process about 500k changesets per 24 hours so in a month we would have the whole history (in theory, don't try this at home...). That's on the zark server with two cores. More core = more tiling jobs that can run efficiently so it should not be that bad after all (unless the database blows up).

So to answer your question - mostly more testing and development is needed, for that I need time.

Echoing Christian: where should we file bugs/suggestions?

I enabled Issues on my fork of openstreetmap-website repo:

https://github.com/ppawel/openstreetmap-website/issues

Paweł