On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Janko Mihelić <jan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think statistics are enough for gamification. You can have lots of
> badges like
>
> "Biggest contributor in Belgium" - most nodes in Belgium
> "Road admiral of Alabama" - most roads in Alabama
> "Power man of  Bavaria" - biggest contributor of power tags (power=line,
> power=substation etc.) in Bavaria
> "Forester of Croatia"
> "Ski instructor of Switzerland"
> etc..
>
> Then if you have a question about tagging a power station in some region,
> you could quickly find "the power man" of the region, and ask them. That
> way the badge comes with some responsibility and influence in decision
> making. The bigger the region, the more responsibility.

Games can be... gamed.
As a pipsqeak in the power pole mapping influence peddling ring, I could
zoom to the top with a few evenings of shifting nodes that did not really
need shifting.  If the game is important enough to be gamed... it will be
gamed.

Better to say that my edits are *respected*.  I make an edit and someone
else says 'thanks, that looks great', or maybe 'could we talk about the
inclusion of bird nests on power poles a bit?'.  Then you've got a system
that has both games and social features.  For those who don't want either
there can be achievement levels: perhaps certain capabilities, like bulk
uploads, could require hitting certain contribution milestones.  It works
great for stack exchange and other similar sites.

          -Bryce

Note: the badge list above shows a gender-specific skew... trying giving
the 'power man' badge to a professional female lawyer.