On 25.07.2014 01:04, Rob Nickerson wrote:
> In my opinion we should try to keep the different language pages as
> similar as possible - that is, they should aim to be just translations
> of one another. My reason behind this is that OpenStreetMap is a
> community and data project. We need to work together and use common
> tagging so that developers can build tools based on OSM data. We should
> avoid an OpenStreetMap for people who can speak English, one for those
> that can speak French, etc...

I agree with that. We are a global project and we expect our software to
work globally, so our documentation needs to be consistent across
multiple languages.

Of course there has always been content intended for a local audience,
or pages that describe local conventions and so on. But I don't see why
that should prevent us from also having content that applies globally.

Content related to local topics should also not be confused with
languages. Why should the page about Road signs in Germany not also be
available in English, for example?

> Also worth noting that a lot of the translations haven't stayed up to
> date. This works both ways - English page updated, translations not
> updated, or a non-English page updated and not copied back to the
> English page (in any language).

I've also noticed this everyday problem, and I believe the Translate
extension could help with those cases. So I'm in favour to give it a
try. Let's just install it, try it on a few pages, and see how well it
works.