On 27/05/15 22:13, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> We could then limit ourselves to using a "name" tag for the locally used
> name, or continue to allow a "name:xx" but only if these languages were
> actually used by the local population; throw in an int_name if you want
> (but some may say that's already an unfair privilege for users of
> English and the Latin alphabet). Anything else - i.e. names used for a
> place in other languages than the local ones - would be off-topic for
> OSM and should be recorded in Wikidata.
>
> Do you think Wikidata could play that role, and take the burden off of
> us? Or is Wikidata not mature enough for that yet, or even unsuitable?

I've followed the to and fro on this and most things make sense. I would
not be happy with a third party providing a 'service' that is currently
handled via Nominatim and Geonames but this comes back to a proposal I
put forward some ten years ago. At the end of the day, a 'translation'
of everything contained in database is needed once one switches to a
different native language. English has been adopted as the base language
for the tagging, and currently it is expected that each tool creates
it's own translations of that for 'local' use, when a central dictionary
makes a LOT more sense. Adding 8 million locations each with it's own
set of 'translations' dovetails in with that, and tools can then simply
return a single language version of the data rather than having to
manage hundreds of different versions of each name. If a translation
exists in the dictionary, that is used, otherwise a fall back to a
secondary language can be used eventually falling back to an English
identifier.

For other users of the material, they could substitute their own
dictionary in place of the 'official' one, so we can have Klingon or
Jedi for those using the maps for gaming purposes. But I don't think we
can rely on a third party like Wikidata to provide this dictionary ...
they may however parallel it's operation?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL