> <mailto:matkoni...@gmail.com>>:
>
>     In theory, it is possible that former motorway/.../tertiary with slip
>     roads/ramps was converted to residential road, without changing road
>     infrastructure and traffic is still grade-separated.
>
> sounds not very likely. At the point where a motorway or even tertiary
> road becomes a residential road, it will clearly change a lot (or
> otherwise it would remain a tertiary etc. road). A residential link
> would be a road between 2 residential roads (or a residential and an
> inferior road like a service), because if it were a higher road class to
> which the residential connects, the link would be called after that road
> class.
>
> There's not really a problem calling a road that connects 2 residential
> roads a residential road as well.
>
> Examples /(also covering unclassified and even tertiary):
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/35022603
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/24038678
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/27854328

The third example is the sort of link I would expect to see approaching
a motorway where restricted traffic gets redirected, but I think that as
in this case, the lowest level would be 'unclassified' rather than
residential or service. Of cause in the UK most roads ARE classified in
some way, so the residential or service is simply a way of avoiding
having to look at 'landuse=residential' or 'retail/industrial' as these
are all still link roads between other higher classification routes? So
this is just a matter of agreeing terminology, and while 'tertiary_link'
may well pushing the limits still, any other _link not listed on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_link should be re-tagged.

The best description of how a link should work is probably when creating
routing instructions. What still grates with me is the 'Bare slightly
left onto M5' when the instruction should be 'Take slip road onto Axx'
and that in my book is where the _link information has an important
element but could also be a second tag. However like
'highway=residential', 'highway=trunk_link' is a shorthand that works at
many levels ... but should the link be tagged for the road it provides
the link to rather than the one it obviously comes from?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL