Have you considered running 14.04 in a virtual machine under 15.10 on your
laptop?

Qemu / KVM is pretty straightforward to get running, probably easier for a
linux newbie than getting a tileserver built on 15.10, and you'll benefit
from learning about virtualization under Ubuntu. You'll also be able to
experiment with the virtual machine without messing up your usual work
environment.

I've got a setup like this and am very happy with it.

Cheers, Joseph