On Sunday 08 September 2019, Simon Poole wrote:

> /If OpenStreetMap is not the largest data provider for the visible
> map rendering, attribution with other sources on a separate page that
> is visible after user interaction is acceptable./
>
> [...]

For understanding the practical function of such a rule (and the efforts
necessary to circumvent it of course) - how do you measure the fraction
OSM accounts for as data provider for a map, especially if several
different data types are involved.  If you go by data volume (which can
be easily changed by several orders of magnitude through geometry
compression and expansion methods of course) i would probably say i
have never seen a map with relief depiction (like shading or countour
lines) where the majority of the data is from OSM.  Any satellite image
layer with annotation labels and lines (boundaries, roads etc.) from
OSM would equally be exempt from visible attribution under such rule.

Practically i think everyone should be aware that such rule is a clear
invitation how to avoid the need for attribution for map producers.  I
would go as far as saying that no matter how you answer my question as
to how data fractions are measured any map could be easily modified by
adding sufficient other data to get the OSM fraction below the 50
percent limit and this way get off the hook.

As already said i don't see how such a recommendation could in any way
be considered compatible with the ODbL attribution requirements.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/