On 02/13/2018 08:30 PM, Erik Kline wrote:
> On 13 February 2018 at 15:15, Fernando Gont <fg...@si6networks.com> wrote:
>> Hello, Tommy,
>>
>> On 02/13/2018 08:04 PM, Tommy Pauly wrote:
>>> Yes, I think this topic is very relevant to the work that can be done in
>>> updated transport APIs, specifically around Path Selection. This is
>>> relevant both for initial connection establishment (when we’re racing
>>> various transport protocols across different paths, we need to know
>>> which local addresses to use), and maintenance of connections that
>>> support migration or multipath (which addresses can they use for new
>>> flows). The address selection can also be inferred from other properties
>>> of the transport connection, such as how long-lived the connection needs
>>> to be.
>>>
>>> Fernando, what’s your plan for your draft? It seems like a great
>>> reference for our drafts, and something we need to consider in our list
>>> of application preferences when creating transport connections.
>>
>> Thanks so much for your comments!
>>
>> I this work is of interest to the TAPS WG, we could try to move this one
>> forward in this wg, and also think of a subsequent I-D with
>> recommendations (more on this later).
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> When it comes to "recommendations" I'm not in favor of the node-based
> recommendations in the NOTE in section 7.3.

This document is moving away from making recommendations, and just
focusing on the problem statement.

We'll remove the "Note" you referenced.

> I think we should let
> nodes create and use addresses as they see fit, and leave it to the
> apps to figure out what they want to do (given the proper information
> via useful APIs).

The above said (i.e., the note will be removed in the next rev of this
document), I think the "note" still gives control to the node to do what
it pleases -- it was suggesting configuration of profiles for different
types of networks (which would be a node-configuration setting, as
opposed to network-induced configuration)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Best regards,
--