On 02/28/2018 04:49 AM, Erik Kline wrote:
>>> I think we should let
>>> nodes create and use addresses as they see fit, and leave it to the
>>> apps to figure out what they want to do (given the proper information
>>> via useful APIs).
>>
>> The above said (i.e., the note will be removed in the next rev of this
>> document), I think the "note" still gives control to the node to do what
>> it pleases -- it was suggesting configuration of profiles for different
>> types of networks (which would be a node-configuration setting, as
>> opposed to network-induced configuration)
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I think there's still a difference between having a node-wide policy
> and enabling per-app policies.  The former could be used to
> unnecessarily preclude the latter, and I think it's better to work
> toward enabling choice in the apps.

I agree with that. However, there are scenarios in which, unfortunately,
you might need to limit application choice: some enterprise deployments
are known for that: disabling support for temporary addresses is a
widespread practice in such deployments.

How could one accommodate such deployments?  (ignoring them eventually
means that the network admins needs to figure out his own hack)

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks