Thanks to all for your advice.  I am going to work this one through some more
before I move to the next one.

-----Original Message-----
From: Linda <lj...@intas.net.au>
Sender: taterbugmando@googlegroups.com
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 20:33:43
To: Taterbugmando<taterbugmando@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: My first video post

I have huge problems finding folks I can sit in with cause they all
play so fast, tunes I don't know, mainly old time tunes, the list is
so big I don't know where to start, and their take is not how I hear
it sometimes too.  I am finding playing along with Monroe a great
boon.  Agree too about learning a few tunes in each key and learning
the licks and playing from chord positions is a great way to go.
There are some speed freaks out there who think its only good at top
speed, while I tend to think the right speed for the tune is the goal
(local observation).

I have been working on Old Ebenezer Scrooge for about a year, and
finally am close to something worth recording, also Arkansas Traveler,
but have not heard a Monroe version of that.  Just about have Lonesome
Moonlight Waltz and would love to work on a list as suggested, for a
year to see what can be achieved.

Thank you Nelson for starting this thread and sharing and thanks also
to everyone contributing, good insights for developing players, who
need to build enough to feel good enough to sit in with others.  Its
no good to just sit there completely overwhelmed and lost.  The
comments are all so supportive and positive.  So good to see.  Seems
video production could help with performance issues like turning into
wood when someone is watching, etc.  The best thing I have done for
myself there is to just play, anyway, and wear it, warts and all, get
over it and move on.  Waiting here for the day I can say....been
there, done that...and am totally over it!!!!
Linda