Allie,

On Sunday, February 06, 2000, at 12:18 AM you wrote:
AM> I think that he was speaking about receiving rather than sending
AM> mail. I do agree completely with what you said about sending mail
AM> using a different SMTP server from the ISP with which you have the
AM> e-mail account.

AM> AFAIK, you may only download your mail from one SMTP server. Am I
AM> right? You may connect to the SMTP server through any ISP's
AM> internet connection but you still have to connect to one
AM> particular server to get your e-mail. On this basis I'm a bit
AM> confused about the request which sounded like allowing TB! the
AM> ability to download mail from an alternate SMTP server if a
AM> particular SMTP server is down.

Upon rereading Wie's wish, I'm not entirely sure what he meant.

SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) is for sending messages from your
machine. POP/APOP/IMAP etc. are for receiving (downloading messages.)

Most SMTP servers deny relaying (being logged into one ISP and sending
mail through another), so there aren't many that still allow this.
With the Anti-SPAM craze going on, I expect even more SMTP servers to
begin denying relays as well.

There are a few out there that I use for special cases (on trips away
from my ISP etc.), but they are few and far in between. Please don't
ask for my list, because I won't give it out. I don't want them to
stop relaying because too many people use it.

The best way to solve this problem is to find a more reliable ISP.
This of course is easy in the U.S., but Wie may not from there, and
therefore unable to do this. If this is the case, I'd complain every
time that the SMTP server is down. Read your contract with the ISP. If
they say that you are supposed to have close to 100% up-time on it,
hold them to it.

Leif Gregory

--
TBUDL/TBBETA List Moderator
ICQ 216395 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

PGP Key ID:
  0x8604279A (DH/DSS)
Fingerprint:
  9E16 4316 FA42 5DC6 EB1D  D0ED D37A 858A 8604 279A

Using The Bat! 1.41 Beta/3 under Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
on a Pentium III 500 MHz notebook with 128MB.

Tagline of the day:
A broken Window gets you 7 meg. of bad luck