Hi there!

On 5 Feb 00, at 19:23, Beat Strasser wrote
    about "Re[2]: The Bat! - suggestions [Random SMTP]":

> > Ah, but that's different! What *you* mean is that if you first dialup+SMTP pair
> > is not responding, you want TB to try dialing another dialup+SMTP pair. That's
> > quite reasonable, and I'd support such a wish if implemented as an option.

> No,  I  don't. Sorry, I didn't express myself correctly. I don't wanna
> TB dial my connections (because I hate these automatic things). I want
> TB  to  make the best of my current connection. So, *he* has to change
> the  SMTP  server.  At the moment, this is me who does the job... very
> annoying.

I have to stress the following idea once more: _if_ you happen to use open
relay SMTP, it's in fact dangerous for _you_, since chances are *high* that
it's already blacklisted (you might check www.orbs.org and/or www.rbl.org to
ensure). And _if_ it is blacklisted, certain percentage of *your* messages
probably gets *never* delivered (!!!). The fact that you don't get formal
"rejection messages" proves nothing, since the logic is: "if we get a message
from a blacklisted server, we denote it as SPAM. If it *is* spam, there is no
need to generate a rejection message". This is how AOL and many others
work.

OTOH, if you _don't_ have access to the open relay SMTP, the feature you
are struggling for *will never work for you*. Am I clear here?

> That  would  be  the  great thing. If a mail can't be sent through the
> first  smtp (because it is not responding or you're relaying), TB will
> try the next server in the list... Why not?

Because there is no sense in doing so; because it means that the server logs
will get overfilled with "connection unsuccessful" entries -- and your
postmaster won't be grateful to you for all that crap _you_ generated; because
it means that The Bat! will eventually become the *favourite* tool of
_spammers_, which is the worst advertisement one can only think of; finally
because the fact that your open relay SMTP server, provided that it's not
blacklisted yet, will _get_blacklisted_ in a short time, and you'll loss this
functionality anyhow. Enough?

If that's not enough, I'll pretend to be Steve Lamb and say "Do Not Do It! It's
against the way it is _supposed_ to work!"

There exist tools that *do it in the _right_ way*! Goto www.let.rug.nl/pegasus.
Download Mercury/32 (it's free). Install and setup it the way _you_ wish. Set
TB up to use Mercury as your SMTP server. That's _all_. What can be more
simple?

And let's finally put the end to this thread here. Just remember: the feature
you wish to get is _WRONG_. Do Not Do It!

--
SY, Alex
(St.Petersburg, Russia)

---
PGP public keys on keyservers:
0xA2194BF9 (RSA);   0x214135A2 (DH/DSS)
fingerprints:
F222 4AEF EC9F 5FA6  7515 910A 2429 9CB1 (RSA)
A677 81C9 48CF 16D1 B589  9D33 E7D5 675F 2141 35A2 (DH/DSS)
---