On Sun, 6 Feb 2000 00:42:08 +0300, Alexander V. Kiselev wrote:

> Okay, I've looked -- but I didn't understand, what they mean by it.
> On the "Receive" tab they have "SMTP: Path to incoming mail"
> setting, too. How are  they going to *receive* using SMTP??? No
> idea. What are they writing in the  help file, then?

        Okay. With respect to the send configuration, here's what they
said:

        SMTP - For SMTP sending, make sure the circle next to the SMTP
        text is filled in by clicking in the circle.  Then, fill in
        the machine name of your networks mail server and type in the
        port number.  If you are unsure, use the default port of 25.

        POP - To send using the POP Protocol, Type in the POP server,
        port, user ID and Password just like on the Receive page.

        Authenticate Using (POP) - You can choose one of three
        authentication methods.  You must have this setting correspond
        to the authentication method that your Mail Server is using.
        The most common is plain POP Passwords, however some servers
        require either APOP or RPA.  If you are not sure what to use,
        contact your Internet Service Provider.

        Most ISPs and mail servers only support SMTP sending of
        e-mail.  If you get an error, and you are sending via POP, try
        to send to the same server via SMTP.

        ======8<======

I used to send via POP with my current ISP. :)

        For the receive configuration, this is what they had to say
about your query :

        NOTE:  if you fetch your mail over a TCP/IP network or the
        Internet from a remote mail server, most likely you will need
        to use POP.

        If you want this account to Receive e-mail using the SMTP
        Protocol, click on the circle next to the text SMTP and type
        in the full hard drive path to the SMTP Inbox.  Alternatively,
        If you want this account to Receive e-mail using the Post
        Office Protocol (POP), click on the circle next to POP and
        type in the following information:

I guess that clears things up doesn't it? :)

--
 CU, Allie ...
Using The Bat! v1.39 *:* Windows NT4.0 (Service Pack 6)