Sveiki,

Saturday, June 16, 2012, 6:32:12 PM, you wrote:

> Hello Vilius,

> Saturday, June 16, 2012, 1:26:23 PM, you wrote:

>>> Another problem with IMAP is that the messages have to actually be
>>> kept on the server. I keep 14 days worth of mail on the server, older
>>> mails are on my laptop and my PC. If I keep more than say, 2,000 or
>>> 3,000 messages on the server, download becomes very slow, so I try to
>>> limit the number of messages.

VŠ>> This  is  a bug in your IMAP server or in your IMAP client. It doesn't
VŠ>> matter  how  many messages you have on the server. Good written client
VŠ>> always  downloads  only new messages. I have more than 125000 messages
VŠ>> and it works in a matter of half a second.

> Actually, the slow server is a POP server. "Checking for new messages"
> takes so long, and that's not only with TB! but also with other
> clients, and with all servers I have used. If that does not apply to
> IMAP, it's my mistake. Does IMAP not need to check for new messages?

It depends how you have configured IMAP client, but usually the client
asks the server:

"What new messages do you have since I last time checked?"

The server responds with something like this:

"I have 25 new messages with IDs 150,151,152,....etc."

The  client  then  downloads  message  *headers*  to list them in the
mailbox on the client.

After  the  the  user  can decide which messages he needs and download
manually a whole message.

 Vilius