>> You mean, that 'System Viewer' is in TB hardcoded to IE only?

RT> It clearly says so next to the setting in Preferences.

Personally, I would call that a bug in TB.  As far as
*ALL* other program I have that open links are concerned,
the "system viewer" is the program currently configured
as the default system browser.  That means that I can
get things to automatically open IE, FF, Chrome, Opera,
or even Safari (if I'm temporarily insane) when I click
a link.  If TB always uses IE, then TB is wrong and broken.

There is ONE somewhat reasonable exception:  Windows Update
always uses IE, regardless of the default browser setting.
But now that newer versions of Windows have a dedicated
Windows Update tool, IE isn't /visibly/ used any longer
(though I suspect that the IE core is still /invisibly/
being used by Windows Update.

Also, the original reporter mentioned that TB opens a
DIFFERENT browser when viewing a message in TEXT vs viewing
the same message in HTML.  Since there seems to be only one
setting for choice of HTML viewer, a user should reasonably
expect that clicking a link in ANY view mode would open the
same browser.  That also sounds like a TB bug.

Lastly, none of this matters to me because I consider it
totally insane to EVER click a link in an email, for security
reasons.  I always retype them into my browser or perhaps
copy and paste them, but clicking can all too easily lead you
to a web site of evil.  Then again, it might be nice if TB
had an option to provide a special warning if the link text
doesn't match the link that will be followed and/or if the
link will execute some script or macro.  Then it MIGHT be
arguably safe to click a plaintext link.

-- 
Steven Vallière | tb 5.1.6.4 | mailto:[email protected]
--
"If you didn't write it down, then it didn't happen."
   -Larry Zana


________________________________________________________
 Current beta is 5.1.6.4 | 'Using TBBETA' information:
http://www.silverstones.com/thebat/TBUDLInfo.html

Reply via email to