Friday, February 7, 2003, 10:31:55 AM, Spike wrote:

> A mail package such as TB! which is designed and developed in an
> "abusive" ISP market does and *should* give adequate
> consideration to the fact that 85% of the _world_ population does
> ~NOT~ have economical internet access.  I commend them for this!

I won't ask where you got that statistic, but even if it were correct to
within 1%, it still doesn't change the fact that a disproportionate
amount of the _money_ spent on Internet software comes from that "15%"
:)  Stop looking at access in terms of geography and look at the pool of
people already online.  The majority of the net's most hard-core users
come from that 15%.

Target the source of the money.  Simple HTML in TB in no way will affect
your usage of the program.  Why would you give up on TB if you started
receiving more HTML mail? What has this ecent addition to the program
got to do with how much HTML mail you'll receive?  Are you telling me
that the majority of mail you receive comes from other Bat users?  Even
if so, those users are the most likely to not start using HTML.  If on
the other hand, the majority of mail comes from users of Outlook, Outlook
Express and other HTML mailers...  Then I suggest that nothing will
change.

I don't plan on using HTML, but there are plenty of other things I can
tell people to cut down on bandwidth. First is your sig. Which takes up
enough bytes to cover a number of HTML tags (it's obscenely long and
quite ironic when trying to champion against HTML mail). How often do
you use it? How about mailers that create enormous numbers of X-
headers?  How about the elimination of useless text?  Teaching people to
better express their thoughts.  Maybe you can look into receiving your
mail pre-compressed in binary form.  One quick download and the process
offline.

HTML mail may go away.  But its replacement is going to be an even
richer multimedia alternative.  I'm just playing devil's advocate here I
suppose.  But at the same time I know a little bit about market trends
and what sells certain types of products.  I've also been through quite
a number of mail pckages in the past few weeks doing research.  :)

Bruno

-- 
Using The Bat! v1.62 Christmas Edition on Windows XP 5.1 Build  2600


________________________________________________________
 Current beta is 1.63b4 | "Using TBBETA" information:
http://www.silverstones.com/thebat/TBUDLInfo.html

Reply via email to