Hello Leif,

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:18:58 -0700 GMT (28/02/2005, 00:18 +0700 GMT),
Leif Gregory wrote:

TF>> I thinnk most have left, because we don't even get replies to
TF>> http://www.ritlabs.com/bt/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=0001762

LG> It's sad too. Just in the time that I wrote my tutorial for validation
LG> I've gotten quite a bit of e-mail about it. This isn't something
LG> people just want, it's something people really need. Just like we need
LG> wheelchair accessible ramps to businesses, we need applications people
LG> with disabilities can use.

True. That's why I am repeating it here.

TF>> You are saying that it will be technically difficult to implement
TF>> correct HTML rendering, and I don't doubt it.

LG> Only in the sense that it will be a huge investment of time in which
LG> RITLabs will have to recode the HTML rendering and eventually
LG> generation engines to keep up with out of control, rapidly evolving
LG> standards (not to mention even conflicting ones).

I also believe that the standards are rapidly evolving (and
conflicting) because they are not "there" yet. Wait and see what will
come out is one strategy, trying to stay on top is another. Keeping
blind users out of the loop and waiting until the standards have
settled may find them comfortable with another email client.

TF>> However, Tony says it;'s wrong from a philosophical / political
TF>> POV to introduce correct renedering to TB. I see a difference
TF>> here.

LG> There is a difference, but I also happen to agree with Tony. He'd just
LG> beat that horse to death, so I decided on a different tact.

I see.

TF>> That's OK, it's your choice. TB lacking this and having to open
TF>> the browser is certainly bad for marketing, though. You mentioned
TF>> above that Ritlabs is a for-profit organisation.

LG> So is Opera, and they're doing well. They adhere to much stricter
LG> standards when rendering HTML which means there are a lot of webpages
LG> out there that don't render as the author intended it.

It will be a business decision over at Ritlabs then.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

To really annoy people, stand on a street corner, pointing a hair
drier at passing traffic, and watch it slow down.

Message reply created with The Bat! 3.0.2.10
under Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600Service Pack 2

 Current beta is 3.0.9.1 Deep Alpha | 'Using TBBETA' information: