Hello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> & other TB! list members following this thread,

On Saturday, January 10, 2004, you responded to my query:

>> I intend to manage a mailing list and downloaded BatPost, RitLabs
>> email server.

tb> I manage some lists with The Bat and ADR, Advanced Direct Remailer.
tb> I don't know of anything better for my uses, but that's just me.

As I recall, at one time (v1.35, for instance), TB! itself *was*
being promoted as an email server. As I understand you, TB! & ADR
are a good solution, but no comparison is made with with BatPost
(BP), perhaps because you haven't used it. Is that the case?

The url you gave shows that ADR cost $10 less than BatPost, which is
not a significant difference.

This is what <http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/batpost/> says:

  FEATURES
  # Unlimited number of domains and users
  # Aliases and mailing lists
  # User groups
  # User folder management
  # Flexible rule-sets
  # Black-lists and accept-lists
  # Monitoring and logging server activity, ODBC logging
  # POP3, SMTP and IMAP protocols
  # SSL/TLS support via OpenSSL
  # DNS black-list (RBL) support for antispam
  # Store configuration data (domains, users, etc.) anywhere (access via driver)
  # Server, domain, user and folder oriented events
  # Strong authorization methods (CRAM-MD5)
  # Support NTLM authorization method for compatibility with Microsoft(tm) products

  Benefits
  # Fast
  # Easy-to install
  # Modest use of system resources
  # Handles hundreds of simultaneous connections without speed degradation
  # Provides great security

How does that compare with ADR?

tb> I use it as my own personal, robust, SMTP server. I can write plugins
tb> for outgoing mail, and manage complex mailing lists.

Large ones?

tb> It can get addresses from flat files, databases, or anywhere. It
tb> can send mails individually to people on a mailing list, they
tb> don't have to see a list of all the other recipients.

I have put 80 addresses in TB!'s bcc slot but the server (gmx) takes
quite a while to read the headers.

tb> Configuration is simple and un-server-like.

tb> Also, there is another one, whose name I would remember if I heard it.
tb> If you are indeed interested in ADR and similar, I can find it for you.

Please do.

I just noticed that the group running the servers I'll be using
states they "offer mailing lists to its users via the MailMan
mailing list software", which is GNU software. I also see that
Pipermail is being used in conjunction with Mailman by some of those
running other lists there and I believe that some of them are using
a Windows rather than Linux interface.

The domains FAQ also refers to using PuTTY, a free SSH client for
Windows and WinSCP, a free secure file transfer application for
connecting to their Linux systems via Windows.

Does this make a difference in relation using BatPost or ADR? It
kinda sounds like it.

Running <"mailman email" + windows> or "under windows" did not help.

Obviously, I am not yet familiar with the inner workings of
operating mailing lists and the time has come for me to learn.

Thanks in advance to all that can help me do that.

--

Douglas