Hi Steve Lamb,

On Donnerstag, 28. Oktober 1999 at 18:06:55 you wrote:

SL> Wednesday, October 27, 1999, 11:55:36 PM, Ralf wrote:
>> I've done it before. Well, a 5 megs attachment went along it's way just
>> fine. Why should some points reject a large message? Is there a general
>> rule or a RFC or something like that that restricts the maximum size of
>> a message?

SL>     The RFCs (I thought it was 822, but it is not, I am now looking for the
SL> exact one) only guarantee up to 64kb.  Furthermore large attachments were, and
SL> still are, considered a denial of service.  Many places will limit the size of
SL> the message.  The average that I have herd of is 5Mb where some are as low as
SL> 2Mb.

I've  been  telling  customers  about  that 64kb limit all the time...
after  having  tried, I must say many mail server admins don't seem to
care  about that rumor ;) I send around large files, even 15 MB or so,
often, without general problems.

Oliver Sturm

--
Oliver Sturm / <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Key ID: 71D86996
Fingerprint: 8085 5C52 60B8 EFBD DAD0  78B8 CE7F 38D7 71D8 6996