On Monday, November 01, 1999, tracer wrote:

Paula>> Thanks for your offer of help, though.

> No problem, just intrigued, were they running NT4 or NT5???
> It has some very lousy driver support for some printers...

The printer is HP's top of the line network laser, the 8000. The network
runs on Netware 5.x. The desktops run WIN95. The source of the printing
problems, however, probably originates with the office suite, Corel.
WordPerfect and HP printers have a long history of not getting along
real well, although I've found that HP printers, especially their
drivers, are not what they used to be. (I'm the disgruntled personal
owner of the notorious HP5L ($500), which has also colored my views.)
The irony is that an HP4000, purchased for half the cost of the 8000,
works beautifully using the 6E drivers.

> Besides, its always useful to know what doesnt work as nothing is more
> frustrating to tell a customer it will all work and then it doesnt..
> After all guess who gets blamed!

Yup. :) BTW, you often advocate buying from local shops. Just have to
say that I bought my first 3 computers for home from local shops,
largely for the reasons you cite. Each shop had been in business for a
number of years and seemed well-established. Each was out of business
before the warranties had even expired. Then, I bought my current
computer for home direct from a smaller company, but one that had also
been around for a good number of years, as measured in the computer
world. They also closed the doors, with no forwarding address, before
the warranty had expired. (Love the computer, though.) My next computer
I'll buy from whoever gives me the configuration I want for the best
price with no expectation that the company is going to outlive the
warranty. <VBG>

--
Paula Ford
The Bat! 1.35 (reg)