Hi there!

On 21 Nov 99, at 9:53, Steve Lamb wrote
    about "Re: (No Subject)":

> Sunday, November 21, 1999, 6:36:55 AM, Alexander wrote:
> > *many* people on this list *do not* understand your American
> > slang
>
>     Funny, I'm not using slang in the least bit.

Funny, then how comes that I hardly understand *you* when
*clearly* understanding Paula Ford and (most of the time) Ali
Martin? Of cause, my English is quite limited (besides, I
presume *your* Russian is even worse then that, am I right?:-
)), but it *needn't* be better then it is. I have *no need* in better
English at all: almost all non-Russian-speaking mathematicians
I'm communicating with routinely speak English even worse
then I do; morethanthat, we usually clearly understand each
other.

Besides, my level of understanding English (based on my own
experience on the good number of English-speaking mailing
lists) shows, that you're probably the only *native* English-
speaker whose English is (sometimes) hard for me to
understand. (Oh, pardon, there's one Australian on Pegasus
mailing list too, but that's a completely other story: he just hates
to use commas and periods:-) Kind of I know all the words he
uses, but it's extremely hard to gain the meaning:-)))

I know absolutely *no* American slang, but basing on the
above-stated thoughts I came to the strong conclusion that it's
slang that I'm finding myself hard to understand in your
postings. If I'm wrong here, my apologies directly to you.

SY, Alex
(St.Petersburg, Russia)
--
Thought for the day:
  Things get worse under pressure.

---
PGP public keys on keyservers:
0xA2194BF9 (RSA);   0x214135A2 (DH/DSS)
fingerprints:
F222 4AEF EC9F 5FA6  7515 910A 2429 9CB1 (RSA)
A677 81C9 48CF 16D1 B589  9D33 E7D5 675F 2141 35A2 (DH/DSS)
---