Hi there!

On 11 Dec 99, at 15:15, Douglas Hinds wrote
    about "Re[3]: SOT Linux port?":

> This is not an area of competence for me, but that's why I'm asking:
>
> 1).- Aside from the received demand, what would be the advantage to
> using TB (and other applications) under Linux as distinct from under
> say Windows 2000. As Linux becomes more of a finished product, the
> costs associated with it seem to be rising commensurately.

Which costs? You mean, to buy support from Red Hat etc.? In
all other spheres, there always exists a free application AFAIK.

> And while windows was garbage from the start (I began with
> OS/2, myself)

So did I (after DOS, of course...)

> , by throwing enough money at it I'm told that NT at least has
> improved a lot.

Well, there will be no more NT... It will be called win'2000, and
I'll bet they'll make it as buggy as each and every win'xxxx:-)

> Will Linux get beyond being a server OS and compete with
> Windoze at the user level? (The Linux camp itself is split)

*I* personally don't think so, unless Corel Linux proves to be
working OS... They've released it finally a couple of days ago.
But they charge for it...

> 2).- If Languages like MetaWare High C/C++/ EC++ PwrPC Toolset Linux
> and various versions of Fortran, as well as Cross Assemblers/Compilers
> like METROWERKS CodeWarrior for Red Hat Linux GNU Edition and Graphics
> Motif for Linux and all available, will the Delphi compiler make that
> much of a difference? Or is the statement founded in TB's have been
> programmed in Delphi?

It's a matter of ammount of work needed to port TB to Linux...

--
SY, Alex
(St.Petersburg, Russia)

---
PGP public keys on keyservers:
0xA2194BF9 (RSA);   0x214135A2 (DH/DSS)
fingerprints:
F222 4AEF EC9F 5FA6  7515 910A 2429 9CB1 (RSA)
A677 81C9 48CF 16D1 B589  9D33 E7D5 675F 2141 35A2 (DH/DSS)
---