Hello The Bat! users,

in our local network environment, users are connecting with The Bat! to
our local mail server rather than to an Dial-Up Provider via an RAS
connection. Thus in the relevant settings (SMTP server, POP server etc.)
the local IP of the mail server is set (192.168.1.1).

This works fine when retrieving mail (Alt-F2).

It does not work so fine when sending mail (Shift-Alt-F2). The first
time when sending mail after launching The Bat! the DUN window pops up
and asks the user to establish an RAS connection.

>From the second time on (after launching) this does not happen anymore.

How can I make The Bat! behave the same when sending mail as when
retrieving mail? Or: how can I make it behave the same when sending the
first time (after launching) as when sending the second, third, etc.
time?  Or is this a bug?

Part of the problem apparently is a Windows setting under "Internet
options/Connections" in IE5: there we have "dial only if no network
connection" enabled - but I would hate to change that just to work
around a problem with The Bat!

To me it clearly looks like a problem with The Bat! as it is happening
only when sending, and there only the first time after launching.

And it does BTW also not happen at all with Pegasus Mail.

I think this is a question for network experts.  Suggestions welcome.

Michael Heydekamp
AIR TRAFFIC Euro Charter GmbH
eMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.airtraffic.de

  Using The Bat! 1.38e under Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222  A
  on a PIII/450, 128MB RAM, 10GB Harddisk
  in a NetWare 3.12 network environment