Hi Steve,

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 13:42:04 -0800GMT (19/01/2000, 05:42 +0800GMT),
Steve Lamb wrote:

SL>     The reply-to behavior is not a convention.  It is a prompt or an option
SL> for a prompt.  It is partially dictated by a formal document (RFC822) and
SL> therefore is closer to a standard than a convention.

While I can agree with you here, I think you are making *my* point.

SL>     REPLY-TO, set by the list, is not the individual setting it.  In that case
SL> it is not "please reply to my reply-to address" it is "This is a list, here is
SL> the list address provided as default."  It is not an implicit or explicit
SL> statement to reply to that address.  I further believe that a REPLY-TO, set by
SL> an individual, is not an implicit or explicit statement to reply to that
SL> address in all cases and should not be trusted.

This is were we disagree. I do think it is at least implicit; please
do trust me when I send you a message with a reply-to different from
the from address. I do want you to reply to the reply-to address.

SL>>>     See sarcasm above.

>> Does not apply to point 1. :-P

SL>     Yes, it does because the original sender could be doing something
SL> malicious.  The fact that noone here can conceive of such a purpose doesn't
SL> mean that it is not there.

I canot conceive of such a purpose, but then, the "From" and "To"
headers always show when I compose mail, and I do look. So I would
notice if the from and reply-to addresses are different.

SL> Furthermore, as stated, TB!'s default behavior with REPLY-TO is,
SL> IMHO, broken and "raising your eyes" is not a viable option until
SL> that behavior is fixed. Quite frankly I feel putting someone's
SL> name with an address not associated with them is a violation of
SL> the "no-munging of headers" rule.

This was discussed a couple of months ago, and I see you have rthe
munging of headers disabled.

>> in some cases. Point of this thread is: Should an email client reply
>> to the reply-to address by default, or ask?

SL>     Ask with the reply-to as default.  That was my original
SL> suggestion.
[...]
>> For regular mail, I can live with pine's behaviour (question popping
>> up only when 'from' and 'reply-to' are not the same),

SL>     Exactly.  Only when they differ.

I can live with this, except on ML's. So it must be possible to
disable the pop-up question on a per-folder basis.

Can we agree on this?

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.39
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
on a Pentium II/350 MHz.