On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 at 10:29:14 +0800 Thomas wrote:

> This is indeed methodical,

Not really, because I didn't set out to try all functions of TB. I
just did what I usually do. I also said it's not scientific because
I knew it's not real-time monitoring, but infrequent snapshots (1
min. interval may be frequent enough for human activities, but not
for computers).

> and must have created a rather large log file which you had to
> read through after those over two hours. ;-)

Not really, either. TB's temp file follows a certain naming rule
(BAT*.tmp), which is easy to search in an editor.

I stopped the experiment around 7:30 this morning, about 24 hours
after it began. The log is about 2.4 MB, 66 thousand lines, and it
logged a total of 7 BAT temp files. All of them have been deleted
automatically by TB, even though I haven't closed it since
yesterday.

> When you download new mail, I understand these messages will be
> downloaded to the temp dir first, then "imported" (some, including
> myself, have already seen the cycle "importing messages" from TB,
> and the occasional hang at that point), and if the import action
> is successful, the files will be deleted from temp.

I'm not sure exactly how this works. I watched closely at the temp
dir when downloading mail, but even when the number of messages to
download is large, I don't always see temp files created. It's
possible they're deleted too soon for my explorer to refresh its
display. I'll get a real-time monitoring tool to try again.

> This is what you have missed. If there is any doubt about whether
> the "import" was successful, TB will not delete the files in the
> temp dir, giving you a chance to find out whether the error might
> have to do with them.

This seems plausible. Yet then it begs two questions:

1. why are there many leftovers (undeleted temp files) for so many
users? My experience (very rarely has TB left anything in my temp
dir) should be the norm, but it clearly is not given the testimonies
by others on the other thread. It's hard to imagine they're
experiencing so many failed imports, since it's not related to the
outside connection (the message has been downloaded and saved as a
temp file on your HD, but somehow TB fails to import it into TB).

2. why are there  so many 0-byte temp files (for many others, not
me)? As I speculated earlier, it could be due to incomplete
deletion, but why?

Well, since it doesn't affect me, I'm not sure why I'm pursuing
this. Kind of foolish, ain't I? :-)

Ming-Li

The Bat! 1.52 Beta/4 | Win2k SP1