On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 at 16:40:43 -0500 Dwight A Corrin wrote:

> It seems that when I compress all folders, it purges.

I went back to look at the explanation Karin gave you, and found
what caused the confusion. I'm also at fault, of course, since I
endorsed what she said without thinking. I guess she was lacking
caffeine, and I simply had a bad day though it was only morning.

Now, Karin's explanation is still a good place to start:

KS> When you delete a message from a folder, it is not really
KS> removed: it is only taken out of the folder's index file
KS> (*.tbi).

This is almost right, except the index entry isn't really "taken
out". It's marked as deleted. That's why you can "browse deleted
messages", which would be much harder to do if the index entries no
longer exist.

KS> When you purge, it is really deleted.

Here, "purge" should be "compress". (In dBase/Clipper terminology,
it's "pack".)

What does "purging" do, then? It means deleting old messages
according to a set criteria. If you have experience with higher-end
newsreader, you should have no trouble with this concept. In TB, the
criteria is set on a folder-by-folder basis (try Folder |
Properties). If you set a folder to keep no a maximum of 100
messages, e.g., then when you purge it TB would delete all messages
but the newest 100.

When purging, TB delete them in its usual way--marking them as
deleted in the index file (.tbi), but not removing them physically
from the message base file (.tbb). Yet, as I said earlier, purging
in TB is always followed by compression (either on all folder or a
single one). The reverse isn't true.

Hope that is clear enough.

Ming-Li

The Bat! 1.52 Beta/4 | Win2k SP1