Hello Miguel!

On Saturday, March 2, 2002 at 1:38:26 PM you wrote:

> I missed it, I joined this list about a month ago.

Luckily the archives are quite good. ;-)

> That may be my problem, that I don't understand the benefits of secure
> signing in general, and for a list like this in particular. I may have
> to do some reading about PGP, etc., and see if I understand.

More or less the same as signing an ordinary letter or contract.

> But the big footprint is not just caused by secure signatures, at
> least the way I see it. As an example to explain what I mean let's
> take one of these "Me too!" messages ( and by "me too" here I mean a
> short 1 line text).

I see your point, but ... Sometimes "Me, too" messages are needed
especially on software related lists, e.g. to identify bugs.

> - First you get the RFC-822 headers.

1. We can't do anything against them.

2. I've seen a lot of requests to include more headers.

3. TB! already uses only the most sufficient ones (plus list headers,
which are a real improvement on lists).

> I assume that everybody in this list uses TB, don't all of you take
> advantage of threading?

Some use threading, some don't. but that's beside the point. Maybe it
is just a matter of personal taste but I like the (various) intros in
messages, although I use the pure, short, informational one only.

> - Then some people quote the whole original message, or big parts of
> it. Again, what about threading?

I concur when it comes to full quotes. What about my use of snipped
quoting?
BTW, threading doesn't come in here, I usually delete a message I've
read unless it is very important to me and I don't have any other
meaningful way of storing it but TB!'s message base.

> - Then, finally, a normal signature. This is nice and polite. But some
> time perhaps too big with full address details, etc., etc.

I consider it a letter head, which is quite useful for both sides,
sender and receiver.

> - Then maybe a rather long Cookie. When reading and writing to this
> list I assume we are mainly interested about TB, possible problems and
> ways to do things. But, who cares about what John Doe thinks about
> French fries?

Wrong. Communication is about much more than pure information. Luckily
the world (of business) again begins to recognize this crucial point.
I don't want to bore you, so I just leave the monologue. Just believe
me, I like those cookies by others, it tells me a lot about their
state of mind.

> - But we are not finished yet. Then comes the PGP signature, some
> times rather long, so I will know that it was you who wrote "Me too!"
> and that you did write "Me too!". Correct?

Yes.

> - But we are not done yet either. Then comes the information added by
> the list server, telling us again when is the birthday of the youngest
> moderator's nice and which is already in the RFC-822 headers

Don't you think you are beginning to go overboard with a real point
you might have?

> And all of that to just say "Me too!".  It does seem quite a waste to me.

The problem is more about contents of a message and therefore the
thought one put into it. It's not so much about the "overhead".

> I have no idea what may cause the problem, I just wanted to say that
> "Me too!" <g> had seen the same problem as Geoff.

see, that's why it sometimes is a good thing to "Me-too".

--
Dierk Haasis
http://www.Write4U.de

PGP keys available: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=SendMyPGPkeys

The Bat 1.54 Beta/45 on Windows 95 4.0 1212 C

"Do you speak Esperanto?" - "Like a native!"