Hi Dierk,

>> I missed it, I joined this list about a month ago.
> Luckily the archives are quite good. ;-)

Yes, I know they quite good. But I don't have the time now.

> More or less the same as signing an ordinary letter or contract.

Understand. I can understand that to sign a contract you need to proof
the you are you with an ID card, or a passport or something. But do
you show your passport every time you write a note to a friend? ;-)

> Sometimes "Me, too" messages are needed especially on software
> related lists, e.g. to identify bugs.

Of course. I am not questioning the "Me too" messages, or its need, I
used that as an example of short messages.

>> - First you get the RFC-822 headers.
> 1. We can't do anything against them.

Right. But they do add to the footprint of the message, don't they?
That's my point.

> I like the (various) intros in messages, although I use the pure,
> short, informational one only.

I don't mind the intros themselves. Although I hardly really pay
attention to any of them, some of them are funny. But they do add to
the foot print also, don't they?

> What about my use of snipped quoting?

That's the way I think we all should do it.

> BTW, threading doesn't come in here, I usually delete a message I've
> read unless it is very important to me and I don't have any other
> meaningful way of storing it but TB!'s message base.

You should keep messages for a couple of weeks or so. You may not be
interested in at first, but become interested as the _thread_ grows a
couple of days afterwards. The you could easily follow the thread
without having to go to the list archives.

> Wrong. Communication is about much more than pure information.

Yes, in a chat, or a general purpose forum, or at a bar while drinking
a couple of beers.

> I like those cookies by others, it tells me a lot about their
> state of mind.

Aren't most cookies just automatically and randomly inserted at the
end of the message?

>> Then comes the PGP signature, some times rather long, so I will
>> know that it was you who wrote "Me too!" and that you did write "Me
>> too!". Correct?
>
> Yes.

Great. I got it then. I may not need as much reading as I thought. ;-)

> Don't you think you are beginning to go overboard with a real point
> you might have?

My point, in case I didn't make it clear, is that everything in a
message adds up to it's final footprint and not just secure
signatures. And that all redundant and/or unnecessary "information"
is, from my point of view, a waste. That is why I used the "Me too"
as an example of how a very short "message" may end up with an
un-proportional footprint, specially if you multiply it by the number
of subscribers to this list.

> see, that's why it sometimes is a good thing to "Me-too".

I never said they weren't. See paragraph above.

Miguel A. Urech (El Escorial - Spain)
Using The Bat! v1.53d

Scanned by  MailScan Content-Security and Anti-Virus Software.
Visit http://www.mwti.net for more info on eScan and MailScan.