> On Thursday, July 1, 2004, 8:50:40 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> My current arrangement is to synchronize all messages from the desktop
> to the laptop whenever i go away.  This ensures that i have all the
> messages that I send and received on my desktop machine are with me
> when I go away.

But don't you the have emails that have been deleted from the DT but
are still on the LT?

> I have set both machines to leave messages on the server for 3 days,
> which ensures that I get the messages to both machines, and in
> particular that I can leave both machines running and still collect
> mail on the laptop.

> If there are sent messages that I need to transfer from the laptop to
> the desktop, then I occasionally do a reserve synch of sent messages
> from the laptop to the desktop.

What is a 'reserve synch' - do you mean you individually select
folders for synching - i.e: just the 'Sent Mail' folders? If yes: then
that's a bit of a pain for 35+ accounts.

> I keep the desktop clear of old messages, and occasionally backup the
> desktop installation, and reinstall it onto the laptop, which brings
> the messages back into synch.  This does mean I lose the laptop
> account settings, so I don't do it very often.

By 'reinstall' you mean Registry entries and the 'MAIL' directory?

> I find this arrangement quite workable.  It would be better to have
> true synchronisation (I use Laplink, but it does not sound like it
> works at the level of the software you use), as it would deal with
> deleted mail, but even Laplink struggles with this, and will attempt
> to recopy deleted files and folders.

Interesting, but how does LapLink keep track of what's been deleted so
it knows to delete it from the other machine?

--
Marten Gallagher
Annery Kiln Web Design